[Mesa-users] Relaxing a variables value between Newton-Raphson solver iterations

Arman Aryaeipour a.aryaeipour at surrey.ac.uk
Tue Aug 30 08:22:58 UTC 2022

Dear MESA-users,

Is there a way to relax the value of a variable for a cell, like velocity for cell 1, from an initial value to a final value between a set number of the Newton-Raphson solver iterations for every timestep?

For example, is there a way to set v(1)=10^8 at solver_iter=1 and allow it to relax to v(1)=5x10^7 at solver_iter=5? in this scenario, I would set the minimum number of solver iterations to 10 so that the value of v(1) can converge on the correct final solution between solver iteration 6 to 10, and I would also do this for every timestep. I ask as I think this may help the convergence of my star when the outer envelope is rapidly expanding. I used the velocity variable in this example, but I am interested to know if there is a way to do this for any variable.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions, and thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Arman Aryaeipour