[Mesa-users] Error while installing old version of mesa

Falk Herwig fherwig at uvic.ca
Tue Aug 16 00:20:14 UTC 2022

Hi Abhijnan,

This is easy to fix. I think you have skipped the step 3 in the Quickinstall notes:

3. Download und unpack an old mesa version, assuming mesa-r5329 in these instructions

You need to have the mesa source tree of the version already downloaded in some accessible location of your file hierarchy. You copy/pasted the command from an example in which the MESA source tree is located in "/Volumes/Astro/L/CODE/MESA/mesa-r9575”. But you can only use that path name if the source tree dir "mesa-r9575” is located in “"/Volumes/Astro/L/CODE/MESA/“. This is very unlikely. So, instead make sure you do step 3 in the instructions and then use YOUR path name to the mesa source tree dir as the last argument.

Thanks for asking the question, I have updated the Quickstart instruction to make this more clear.

Once you have this going you may want to explore the slightly advanced option to mount a second directory from you host where you can have your work space and run dirs on the host.

If you are entirely new to docker you may want to consider this:
By now you will probably have a few docker containers running which you may want to stop and remove before attempting to start again. Do
 $ docker ps -a
CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                COMMAND       CREATED          STATUS                     PORTS     NAMES
3649632649b4   nugrid/nudome:16.0   "/bin/bash"   43 minutes ago   Exited (0) 4 minutes ago             mesa-r9575

To see your active docker containers. Do docker stop xxxx where xxxx is the container name or ID, to stop the container if status is not yet “exited". Then do docker rm xxxx to remove the container.

Let me know how it goes.
Best, Falk.