[Mesa-users] Setting H-envelope mass in subdwarfs

Kunal Deshmukh kunaldes225 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 20:35:51 UTC 2022

Thank you Heran, Evan.
I was indeed able to vary the envelope mass as I intended to. Thanks for
pointing out the He core boundary definition as well.

As a follow up question -
I used the make_sdb test which uses 1M_pre_ms_to_WD and results in an sdB
mass of about 0.47 Msun. To obtain higher mass sdBs (say 0.55 Msun), we
need to start with higher pre-MS masses (upwards of 3 Msun). What is the
correct way to go about this?

The simplest way I could think of was changing initial mass in
1M_pre_ms_to_WD from 1 Msun to 3 Msun. The numerous parameters in the
inlist however have been set for 1 Msun. Is there any prescribed way to
form high mass sdBs or will I have to change all the parameters according
to the initial mass for every case?

Finally, on a related note, how do we run a subset of parts in tests that
have multiple parts? (ex. run 1M_pre_ms_to_WD only till the
to_end_core_he_burn part)

Best,
Kunal