[Mesa-users] Does "opacity_factor" scale radiative and conductive opacities in WD models?

Evan Bauer evan.bauer.astro at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 17:25:14 UTC 2021

Hi Malia,

Great questions!

1. Yes, the opacity_factor control multiplies the total opacity, which accounts for both radiative and conductive opacities.

2. The Blouin 2020 conductive opacities will be on by default in the next public release of MESA, which is scheduled to come out later this month. Rob Farmer announced the release candidate on the mesa-users list earlier this week, and you can find a note about the conductive opacities in the changelog here:
https://docs.mesastar.org/en/latest/changelog.html <https://docs.mesastar.org/en/latest/changelog.html>

Cheers,
Evan