[Mesa-users] Identifying models with convective cores

Warrick Ball wball at bison.ph.bham.ac.uk
Tue Oct 24 04:13:42 EDT 2017

Hi Benard,

In the FGONG standard [1], the 15th column of the "var" array is the
dimensionless squared Brunt-Vaisala frequency, also known as the Ledoux
discriminant or convective parameter.  It is negative in convectively-
unstable regions and positive in convectively-stable regions.  FGONG is
plain text, so it isn't too hard to read the files.  (If you use Python, I
can help...)  Then you can use any criterion of your choice to decide
whether or not a star as a convective core.

Cheers,
Warrick

[1] https://www.astro.up.pt/corot/ntools/docs/CoRoT_ESTA_Files.pdf

Warrick Ball
Postdoc, School of Physics and Astronomy
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT
wball at bison.ph.bham.ac.uk
+44 (0)121 414 4552