[Mesa-users] Radiative levitation causes composition spikes/valleys

Zhang, Zhaoxi M. (Michael) mz at astro.caltech.edu
Mon Oct 23 21:34:03 EDT 2017

Hello everyone,

Whenever I get enable diffusion and radiative acceleration on a white dwarf, I get extremely spiky abundances in Fe-56.  The iron abundance oscillates between 10^-5 and 10^-16 in the outer 10^-14 of the white dwarf (by mass), before suffering a discontinuity (!!) and jumping to 10^-2.

I have no idea what's causing this behavior, but it causes the simulation to grind to a virtual halt, and mucking with various parameters doesn't seem to help.  Because I don't get any warning or error messages, I have no clue how to begin debugging this problem.  If anyone has ideas, I'd highly appreciate your help!

Cheers,

Michael