[Mesa-users] plotting mass transfer in close binary stars

Josiah Schwab jwschwab at ucsc.edu
Sat Oct 21 12:18:14 EDT 2017

Hi Seblu,

> I was trying many times  to plot mass transfer rate by using MESA-r10000.
> Here inside this installed MESA there is no folders, i.e.,  binary_both_
> stars, binary_donor_only and so on. So that how can i get the path, which
> helps (indicates ) me that to plot mass transfer in close binary stars,
> especially for low mass stars?

Please look in the directory

  $MESA_DIR/binary/test_suite

to find the binary examples it sounds like you're looking for.

To become familiar with MESA binary, I recommend working through some of
the materials from the MESA summer school.

While focused on massive stars, Selma de Mink's 2017 lecture is a good
introduction to binary mass transfer in MESA.

  http://cococubed.asu.edu/mesa_market/education.html

Hope that helps,
Josiah