[Mesa-users] Calculating R Parameter (t_HB/t_RGB) in GC by interpolating stellar evolutionary tracks

Aaron Dotter aaron.dotter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 21:17:47 EDT 2017

Hi Iñigo,

It seems you have a number of assumptions that are at odds with what the
models are telling you.  Your best course is to go through each step of
your analysis and make sure that your results are correct and then check
whether your assumptions about what "should be" happening are also correct.

You haven't said what the masses of the stars are at the ZAHB.  If the
masses are similar, then the temperatures may be too.  What happens if you
increase the Reimers factor again?  Your models may reach the ZAHB (as
defined by what happens in the core) without reaching a certain Teff at the
surface.  There's nothing wrong or unusual with that.

I think it would be very good for you to find where the number logT=3.85
comes from, what exactly it refers to, and how it relates to the models
you're making.

Please try these suggestions and then, if you have any problems with MESA,
come back and ask for help.

Cheers,
Aaron