[Mesa-users] wd_diffusion doesn't work?

Zhang, Zhaoxi M. (Michael) mz at astro.caltech.edu
Mon Oct 2 14:42:28 EDT 2017

Hello everyone,

In MESA 10000, I ran wd_diffusion in the test suites.  It worked, but its timesteps were almost 100 million years, which I thought was far higher than the diffusion timescale.    So I decreased the timesteps to see how the elements diffuse initially:

max_years_for_timestep = 1d3

and the test stopped working.  It struggles to converge, and fails with:

stopping because of problems dt < min_timestep_limit
terminated evolution: cannot find acceptable model

Is it expected behaviour for this test to fail due to smaller timesteps?  Why would having a smaller timestep create convergence problems?

Cheers,

Michael