[mesa-users] magnetic braking Kawaler1988?

Pablo Marchant pamarca at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 12:01:29 EDT 2017

Ans just as a reference for those interested in implementing this in a
binary system, for that you would need to use the hook use_other_jdot_mb,
the usage of which is explained in
$MESA_DIR/binary/other/mod_other_binary_jdot.f90

cheers

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Jacqueline Den Hartogh <
j.den.hartogh at keele.ac.uk> wrote:

> Thanks Bill! Yes it's single stars I'm after :)
>
> On 24 Jul 2017 16:40, "Bill Paxton" <paxton at kitp.ucsb.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jacqueline,
>>
>> At the level of binaries, I'll let Pablo respond (if that's of interest
>> to you).
>> For the single star case, you should use the hook "other_torque".
>> Or if necessary because of time-scales similar to time-steps,
>> 'other_torque_implicit'.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bill
>>

>> On Jul 24, 2017, at 6:30 AM, Jacqueline Den Hartogh wrote:
>>
>> > Hi mesa friends,
>> >
>> > I'm looking into magnetic braking in low mass stars and was wondering
>> if Kawaler1988's equations are included in MESA? So far I've done a search
>> in the default sections on the mesa-website as well as an egrep in
>> mesa8845/star, but I haven't been able to find anything... Before I try to
>> implement them myself, I figured sending an email to this mailing list
>> would be smart. Any advice is welcome!
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > Jacqueline

Pablo Marchant Campos
M.Sc on Astrophysics, Universidad Católica de Chile
PhD on Astrophysics, Argelander-Institut für Astronomie, Universität Bonn