[mesa-users] A question about the pulsation package

RICHARD H D TOWNSEND townsend at astro.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 24 10:25:56 EST 2017

Hi Taozhi —

The way the pulsation_gyre is currently set up, it doesn’t perform any optimization on the mass, metallicity etc — it just assumes that these parameters are sufficient to get a good match (at some point during the star’s evolution) to the frequencies specified in the inlist_astero_search_controls file. If you alter these frequencies (but don’t otherwise modify the inlist), then it’s unsurprising that you’re not able to get a good match.

To fix this, you need to set some parameters in inlist_astero_search_controls. To allow mass and abundances to vary:

search_type = ‘simplex'
vary_FeH = .true.
vary_Y = .true.
vary_mass = .true.

Also, look at the first_*, min_* and max_* parameters to set the search bounds.

cheers,

Rich