[mesa-users] CCSN in mesa

Bill Paxton paxton at kitp.ucsb.edu
Thu Feb 16 18:20:36 EST 2017

Hi,

There is a new public release of mesa coming soon that will have a completely new method for doing post-explosion evolution of ccsn up to just before shock breakout.  The treatment of shocks now uses an approximate Riemann solver (HLLC method) and avoids artificial viscosity.  There is a treatment of the effects of Rayleigh-Taylor instabilities based on the method of Paul Duffell (2015).   Overall conservation of energy is much improved with cumulative error from explosion to near breakout less that 1% relative to total energy.

That said, the new scheme is still very raw and will probably need some break-in time.   If you want to avoid frustration, don't use it until a 2nd release.  But if you'd like to be a brave pioneer and don't expect lots of help, then you can get an early start when the new release emerges.

Cheers,
Bill