[mesa-users] negative age and rotation values in "OSC" file

RICHARD H D TOWNSEND townsend at astro.wisc.edu
Sat Feb 11 14:57:33 EST 2017

Hi Juan Carlos —

I can reproduce your problem on 8845 (the latest release) — the star ages are negative, and the rotation values contain junk.

I’ve dug into the code, and discovered that fields 11 and 12 of the OSC global data (containing the age and the rotation rate) are getting overwritten by the central second derivative of the pressure and density (which should in fact belong in fields 9 and 10).

This issue is fixed in the latest development version of MESA (obtainable through svn — see http://mesa.sourceforge.net/prereqs.html) and will of course also be fixed in the next full release.

I’ll respond to your later email (about atmosphere problems) in a follow-up email.

cheers,

Rich