[mesa-users] Fast Mass Loss

Kenny Van kvan at ualberta.ca
Mon Apr 17 13:02:33 EDT 2017

Hi,

I'm encountering some odd numerical issues with the model that I am trying
to run. Essentially what I have done is evolved a solar type star to 2
solar radii, then proceed to strip off the envelope of the star at -1.0
solar masses per year. I realize that the mass loss being enforced here is
incredibly high, but this is an attempt to try and simulate collisional
stripping between two stars. In the simulation if the timestep is initially
low enough the simulation will continue to run but for reasons unknown to
me MESA greatly increases effective temperature and luminosity at the very
start of the run. Is this a result of the hydro solver trying to force the
simulation to work?

Best