[mesa-users] Interesting behavior at the lower edge of the main sequence

Aaron Dotter aaron.dotter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 10:13:53 EDT 2016

Hi Jon,

mesa-users accepts attachments, so please send your inlist.

Very interesting story that you tell.  I would add a couple of things to
Frank's response:

1. I'm not aware of any studies on the long-term evolution (i.e. trillions
of years) of very-low-mass stars and brown dwarfs.  I'm also not aware of
studies trying to narrowly define the transition.  In part this was because
only a very few people could make such models.  Now we have MESA.  ;-)

2. Any time you're seeing an interplay between rapid rise (or fall) in
burning rates coupled with transition between energy transport dominated by
radiation and convection, you have to take with a grain of salt.  We know
from simulations that things don't evolve in 3D like they do in 1D.
Though, again, I'm not aware of any simulations that focus exactly on the
situation you describe.

Other folks who follow this list are also involved in these simulations
and, perhaps, will give you some papers to read.

Aaron

​