[mesa-users] Internal energy

Bill Paxton paxton at kitp.ucsb.edu
Tue May 3 11:27:38 EDT 2016

Hi Matthew,

Great question -- I wish I had a quick answer.  Someone needs to do some digging to confirm what seems to be the case.

In the regions where ionization matters, mesa draws on eos data from OPAL (or SCVH in some cases).

The internal energy mesa reports is the internal energy from OPAL.

So your question is really about the OPAL eos.

I expect that the ionization energy is included, but I haven't found an explicit statement to confirm that hunch.

Perhaps someone knows more about this aspect of the OPAL eos?  It would be excellent to get a solid answer.

Cheers,
Bill