[mesa-users] how to definite surface?

Bill Paxton paxton at kitp.ucsb.edu
Wed Jun 15 00:08:54 EDT 2016

Hi,

Rather than reporting the value for a single cell, the "surface" value is an average over a specified fraction of the mass of the model.  A similar operation is done for "center" values -- they are also averages.  You can control the size of the averaging regions by changing these controls in your inlist:

         !### center_avg_value_dq

         ! reported center values are averages over this fraction of star mass

      center_avg_value_dq = 1d-8

         !### surface_avg_abundance_dq

         ! reported surface abundances are averages over this fraction of star mass

      surface_avg_abundance_dq = 1d-8

If you want the history values to match the single innermost (or outermost) cell, set the abundance dq to 0d0.

-B