[mesa-users] Problems with Rochelobe overflow

Hannah Brinkman brinkmanhe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 06:10:20 EDT 2016

I checked the limitation on the timestep for the binary system, but it
gives me simply max increase, which has no counterpart in the control
files. This leaves me clueless on what to increase to get a bigger timestep
in the final phases of the evolution. Any ideas how to proceed?
The timesteps for the single star go down slowly from about a year to 10^-5
years at the very end of the evolution. This seems indeed to be the
post-carbon burning state. It reaches this point in only 2000 timesteps and
uses the other 8000 to get barely any further in the evolution. The
limiting factor for the single star is dX_nuc_drop. But since these stars
don't have Roche-lobe overflow that changes the mass drastically, I think I
will be able to predict the final state of the star based on the core just
after carbon-burning.
With kind regards,
Hannah