[mesa-users] The mass and radius of the Sun

Warrick Ball wball at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
Wed Jan 27 11:28:06 EST 2016

I am!  If it wasn't clear, I'm optimizing:

- the mixing length parameter alpha,
- the initial helium, and
- the initial metallicity

to fit

- the luminosity,
- the radius, and
- the surface metallicity

of the Sun, at age 4.61 and with all models computed with one solar mass.
This is what I call a "classical" calibration, in the sense that it
doesn't use any information that is inferred from helioseismology (e.g.
helium abundance, convection zone depth).

One potential culprit (and the one I'm currently playing with) is the
choice of atmospheric model.  This affects the mixing length parameter and
thus, as you say, potentially also the base of the convection zone.

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016, Adam Jermyn wrote:

> Hi Warrick,
>
> Are you also changing the mixing length parameter? That can have an impact on things like the convective boundary location...
>
> Adam

Warrick Ball
Postdoc, Institut für Astrophysik Göttingen
wball at astro.physik.uni-goettingen.de
+49 (0) 551 39 5069