[mesa-users] The Cepheid phase

Hideyuki Saio saio at astr.tohoku.ac.jp
Tue Aug 30 10:35:56 EDT 2016

Hi,

> I would strongly oppose adding any kind of overshoot by default. This would likely be a source of significant confusion for many, and could possibly result in many publications inadvertently using overshooting they're unaware of. The amount of overshooting used would also be very arbitrary, and choosing a default would result in people using it just because it is a MESA default.

In general, I agree no overshooting in default setting.

But I think, the helium burning core is the exceptional case, in which  a very small amount of overshooting is essential  to obtain a realistic track.

Please look at the attached diagram, in which each panel shows 7Msol cepheid phase with different value of
   overshoot_f_above_burn_he_core

cases of 0.0, 0.0005, 0.001, 0.002, 0.005 are shown.

Except for the case of no overshooting, I obtained very similar cepheid loops irrespective to the exact value of the overshooting (0.005 is probably too high).

I still prefer  a default setting which produces a reasonable cepheid loop.

Best regards,
Hideyuki