[mesa-users] new parameter on make_o_ne_wd test suite

Bill Paxton paxton at kitp.ucsb.edu
Fri Aug 26 14:03:41 EDT 2016

A bit of motivation for the new D_omega scheme:  the idea is that the rotational instabilities such as ES, ST, GSF, etc. are now treated as source terms for the actual rotational mixing coefficient D_omega.  But D_omega isn't simply a sum of the sources -- it has a life of it's own in that it decays gradually in time and spreads gradually in space.  This buffers it against the step-to-step large changes that can (and do) happen in the sources as a result of the code taking finite size steps during which the micro-profile of rotational stress can change dramatically.  My hope is that the behavior of D_omega will be both more physical and more effective computationally.  I'm of course looking forward to user comments and suggestions.

Cheers,
Bill