[mesa-users] contradicting Kipp and mixing pgstar plots

Robert Farmer rjfarmer at asu.edu
Mon Aug 22 14:02:06 EDT 2016

Hi
So the best thing to do when debugging is too remove everything and
simplify the problem, than add things back slowly to see what changes.
Doing this shows me that the line which causes the issue is:

D_mix_ov_limit

which is:
!### D_mix_ov_limit

            ! Overshooting shuts off when the exponential decay has dropped
the diffusion
            ! coefficient to this level.

Which you set in three places in your basic.inlist. MESA will use the last
one which is 0 thus overshoot never shuts off, so the Kip plot shows it out
to the edge. For, the mixing plot if you set the mixing_ymin to say -30 it
shows the overshoot extending outwards to the edge of the star.

Rob