[mesa-users] About defined time inteals

Michal Simon michal.simon at stonybrook.edu
Thu Aug 4 11:28:41 EDT 2016

Greetings to all,

This question is stimulated by Pablo Marchant's reply]
to Kenny Van about setting time steps, and particularly
his cautionary remark about units for the time steps.

I have been using MESA to calculate evolutionary models for low mass
(< ~2 Msun),  young (< 100 MY) stars, and that are not brown dwarfs.
MESA calculates many, many models at extremely young ages, << 1 MY.
That's fine and I can understand that MESA needs to do that to settle
on models in quasi-static collapse.

But, once a model gets to 1/10 MY age it starts getting
interesting to me.  Is it possible to start to set a desired
time interval then, at say 1/10 MY and to continue at steps of perhaps
1/20 MY until say 20 MY at which time the collapse proceeds very
slowly and MESA can choose whatever time steps it prefers?   As you
can imagine this would expedite making isochrones and side-step using
MIST.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Simon