[mesa-users] Run binary in MESA

Pablo Marchant pamarca at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 06:21:35 EDT 2016

Hello Wang. When I asked before what system you were running I meant in the
sense of physics, not OS. It would appear you are trying to model
intermediate mass pop III stars with rotation. I have not tested your
inlists myself but noticed some things already by going through them. In
general you need to provide a better description of your issues, otherwise
we can't help (i.e. if you have small timesteps, please specify the phase
at which this happens, what you consider a small timestep, etc..., be more
informative!)

- Due to the similarities, I assume you are using the inlists for the model
with rotation from the third MESA instrument paper
http://mesastar.org/results/mesa-iii-instrument-paper-inlists
I noticed though you have made some changes that break the desired
behaviour. If you check in that link the inlists for the binary with
rotation you have this in inlist2:

    surf_avg_tau_min = 0
    surf_avg_tau = 10
    max_mdot_redo_cnt = 200
    min_years_dt_for_redo_mdot = 0
    surf_w_div_w_crit_limit = 0.99d0
    surf_w_div_w_crit_tol = 0.06d0
    rotational_mdot_boost_fac = 1d10
    rotational_mdot_kh_fac = 1d10
    mdot_revise_factor = 1.2
    implicit_mdot_boost = 0.1

This options control the implicit scheme for mass loss which is meant to
keep the star below a given threshold in w/w_crit. You seemed to have
removed several of these options from the inlist, any reason for that? In
particular unless you set max_mdot_redo_cnt > 0 the implicit scheme will
not be used.

- In your inlist project you are configuring tidal torques with

      sync_type_1 = "Hut_conv"
      sync_type_2 = "Hut_conv"

This is meant for stars with convective envelopes but you have a system
with a 2 and a 3 solar mass star. Why not use the option for stars with
radiative envelopes?

- From inlist2 these options also appear to be missing

    smooth_outer_xa_big = 0.05d0
    smooth_outer_xa_small = 0.03d0

these provide some artificial smoothing in the outer regions which appears
to be needed once you start accreting He rich material. Without this the
surface composition can have big step-to-step changes which causes jumps in
luminosity and effecctive temperature, never good for convergence.

- To check for timestep issues, ther terminal output of MESA contains lines
like this:

        step    lg_Tcntr    Teff       lg_LH     lg_Lnuc     Mass
H_rich     H_cntr     N_cntr     Y_surf     X_avg     eta_cntr  zones retry
    lg_dt_yr    lg_Dcntr    lg_R       lg_L3a    lg_Lneu     lg_Mdot
 He_core    He_cntr    O_cntr     Z_surf     Y_avg     gam_cntr  iters bckup
      age_yr    lg_Pcntr    lg_L       lg_LZ     lg_Psurf    lg_Dsurf
C_core     C_cntr     Ne_cntr    Z_cntr     Z_avg     v_div_cs     dt_limit
 __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

   2     100   7.557824  4.119E+04   5.214474   5.214474  35.000000
 35.000000   0.738261   0.000081   0.256898   0.738261  -6.658822   2030
   0
   21.455260   0.415205   0.900840 -28.020818   4.022496 -99.000000
0.000000   0.256898   0.002623   0.004841   0.256898   0.009434      2
 0
  5.7054E+21  16.237218   5.214474 -99.000000   4.083052  -9.064519
0.000000   0.000495   0.000407  4.841E-03  4.841E-03 -0.523E-29  varcontrol

the very last entry, the one specified as dt_limit, gives the reason for
the timestep size. You can check what each thing means in
$MESA_DIR/star/defaults/controls.defaults. When running a binary you also
have some binary specific timestep controls, and these can be checked in
$MESA_DIR/star/defaults/controls.defaults. If you prefer, you can just
check this in your browser,
http://mesa.sourceforge.net/controls_defaults.html#timestep_controls

Note that if the reason for the timestep being small is "retry" or "backup"
then it means your model is running into convergence issues and needs to
take smaller timesteps. This is not something you can solve by merely
relaxing timestep controls, and usually needs to be dealt in a case-by-case
basis.

Hope this helps.

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 5:04 AM, Wang JT <wangjt151 at 163.com> wrote:

> Dear professer
> I‘m so sorry for me, I'm forgot send my inlist files in before E-mail. so
> I add my inlist files  in the annex. I hope your help.
> Thank you so much.
>
>              Wang JT
>

> At 2016-04-20 16:30:10, "Pablo Marchant" <pamarca at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Wang, for us to help you need to provide more detailed information. What
> system are you trying to run? At what point is it failing? You also need to
> provide the inlist files you used.
> Am 20.04.2016 4:22 vorm. schrieb "Wang JT" <wangjt151 at 163.com>:
>
>> hi !
>> I'm run binary evolution in MESA-r8118. The cause of the given after the
>> stop:
>> show opacity info
>>                                                 logT =          287
>>  1.0499288907951348D+01
>>                                               logRho =          287
>> -7.5443601716448157D+01
>>                                                    z =          287
>>  1.9153401893156063D-02
>>                                                   xh =          287
>>  1.5447410417106316D-01
>>                                                   xc =          287
>>  1.2118488231067302D-04
>>                                                   xo =          287
>>  4.0451537715784156D-04
>>                                             lnfree_e =          287
>> -1.0899551164631617D+02
>>                                    d_lnfree_e_dlnRho =          287
>>  2.3635123426579395D+49
>>                                      d_lnfree_e_dlnT =          287
>>  0.0000000000000000D+00
>>                                                 abar =          287
>>  2.7603808677443542D+00
>>                                                 zbar =          287
>>  1.5933941391258981D+00
>>
>>                                                  rho =          287
>>  3.6007940604038125D-76
>>                                                lnrho =          287
>> -1.7371531267407352D+02
>>                                                    T =          287
>>  3.1571041415825439D+10
>>                                                  lnT =          287
>>  2.4175506126486503D+01
>>                                               logKap =          287
>>                 NaN
>>                                              opacity =          287
>>                 NaN
>>                                          dlnkap_dlnd =          287
>>                 NaN
>>                                          dlnkap_dlnT =          287
>>                 NaN
>>                                       d_opacity_dlnd =          287
>>  2.2989629644018187D-03
>>                                       d_opacity_dlnT =          287
>>  8.3474270049726573D-01
>>

>>                                          kap_frac_Type2         287
>>  0.0000000000000000D+00
>>                                    extra_opacity_factor         287
>>  1.0000000000000000D+00
>>

>> STOP debug1: do_kap_for_cell
>> DATE: 2016-04-18
>> TIME: 23:58:08
>> But I do not analyze it stop reason, so you can help me?
>>

>>                                               Wang JT

Pablo Marchant Campos
M.Sc on Astrophysics, Universidad Católica de Chile
PhD student, Argelander-Institut für Astronomie