[mesa-users] Reconstructing tracks for asterg-module fits

Bill Paxton paxton at kitp.ucsb.edu
Mon Jan 26 12:38:27 EST 2015

On Jan 26, 2015, at 7:15 AM, Wiebke Herzberg wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> I had the exact same problem. I could not reproduce the best fitting
> model from the astero module with a normal MESA evolution run. After
> some testing I actually think it is not possible (I suspected the
> different time steps, but did not dig any deeper). If you find out
> otherwise please let me know!

The star test_suite has two relevant cases: solar_calibration and example_solar_model.
Back long-long ago when I last updated those, I 1st ran solar calibration and then used the results of that for the example.
And they produced identical results.  Today, they have drifted apart a little as a result of who knows what.

For example, here's the difference they now show in the rms errors in the sound speed profiles:
example_solar_model		7.7114367384673228D-04
solar_calibration		7.7113284549917014D-04

It is possible that the differences come from tiny round off errors in converting parameter values to text and back.
Or the problems might be deeper in the code reflecting something bad I've done -- it can happen! ;D

But it should certainly be possible to reproduce the results from an astero search in a standard star run.

I you have a case that fails that test, please let Rich know so he can fix it.  ;D

Cheers,
Bill