[mesa-users] isotopic initial abundances

Bill Paxton paxton at kitp.ucsb.edu
Fri Jan 9 15:56:23 EST 2015

On Jan 9, 2015, at 12:45 PM, Ehsan Moravveji wrote:

> Bill kindly directed my to /chem/data/lodders03.data, which lists the isotopic abundances of most of the required isotopes for the burning nets.
> Yet, there are still few of them which are not listed in Lodders (2009), but are needed for CNO sub-chains, like Be7, N13, O15, etc.
> Although these catalysts are produced through CNO cycles, if their initial abundance be non-zero, they can contribute to the energy production from the beginning.
> I wonder how else it is possible to give these isotopes non-zero initial abundance? I mean what abundance ratios shall I assume for these?

I'd suggest just starting those at 0 and set the initial timesteps small.  The code will quickly adjust them to the appropriate levels without your help.  And it will happen fast enough because of the small timesteps that the overall change in energy production will be negligible.

to test that, use the abundances from such a run to initialize all of the iso abundances using a file.
rerun starting from those and see what differences you find.

-b