[mesa-users] Help with output

Pablo Marchant pamarca at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 11:12:09 EST 2015

Laura, stellar evolution proceeds at drastically different speeds in
different phases, so unless you want to have models that take more than
1000 times longer to compute, I'd suggest you modify your Runge-Kutta
integration routines to work with variable timesteps.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 4:45 PM, LAURA A. BOYLE <L.BOYLE2 at nuigalway.ie>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> Advanced apologies for my lack of knowledge with using MESA and
> it's output as I am fairly new to the code.
>

> I am running simple solar-type models to evolve for e.g a 1M_sun star from
> the main sequence to the TP-AGB phase. This is not a problem (so far!) as
> it appears straight forward thanks to the test_suite examples.
>

> However, my problem lays with what I wish to do with the output.
>

> I need to use my MESA model output as input for a small code I've written
> myself, which is just a 4th order Runge-Kutta integration algorithm. The
> ODE I am integrating has quite a few time-dependant stellar parameters
> (such as mass, radius, luminosity of the star and so on). I begin my
> integration at the zero age main sequence (the beginning of my mesa models)
> and from there, for each time step in the Runge-Kutta integration, I would
> like to feed the MESA model data for that time into my integrator.
>
> So my problem is really with the time steps. I am currently coming to
> grips with how mesa chooses the time steps for the models and as far as I
> can see it's not very easy (or advised) to set a specific time step by the
> user. I have actually tried to set a time step using the
> 'max_years_for_timestep' control, but found that sometimes MESA ignores it.
>

> Has anybody else needed to do something similar? I am trying to write a
> spline interpolation algorithm to make better use of the mesa output. Would
> it be wiser to use the interp_1D or interp_2D modules provided by MESA to
> do this?
>

> Thank you in advance!
>

> lboyle

Pablo Marchant Campos
M.Sc on Astrophysics, Universidad Católica de Chile
PhD student, Argelander-Institut für Astronomie