[mesa-users] Jumps in temperature during evolution of helium stars

Pablo Marchant pamarca at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 12:48:40 EST 2015

Hello mesa-users!

For the last weeks I've been working on models of helium stars formed by
chemically homogeneous evolution product of efficient rotational mixing.
I've consistently run into an issue though, midway through helium burning
my models experience sudden jumps in temperature. Here I attach an example
of a 67 msun star with a metallicity of Z=0.00034 settling into the helium
ZAMS, for simplicity I removed rotation and any associated mixing effects.
When core helium drops to about 0.60, the outer layers experience a sudden
change in a few timesteps which I can't seem to resolve (see figure
prof.pdf, note that the saved model starts at model 1500). There is not
really to my knowledge any fundamental change that could cause a sudden
jump in this stage of evolution.

I know this star evolves towards the Eddington limit, so I also tried
applying MLT++, but it does not make much of a difference, as depicted in
the attached HR diagram.

Anyone has ran into similar issues while modeling helium stars? Any clue
what might be amiss here?

FYI, i'm using r7624

Cheers!

--
Pablo Marchant Campos
M.Sc on Astrophysics, Universidad Católica de Chile