[mesa-users] Gyre and python

Monique Windju mwindju at ucsc.edu
Tue Dec 8 12:28:52 EST 2015

Hi Cyrus,

My workaround for sourcing an up-to-date python version on an external host
is downloading yt (http://yt-project.org/#getyt). Pointing your terminal to
the correct python once yt installs is easy, for example in my .bashrc: alias
yt='source /share/work3/monique/yt/yt-x86_64/bin/activate'

Might be worth a try, the admin for my cluster was adamant against changing
the root python since some parts of the system build (Rocks 6.1) would
potentially crash.

Best,
Monique

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Cyrus Zalian <thebigkiwi2003 at yahoo.fr>
wrote:

> Thank you for your answer. I had the bad idea to search for the whole
> error message on Google.
>
> Anyway, I keep on having these error messages, so I'll ask the
> administrator of the server to upgrade Python, because otherwise it will
> drive me crazy.
>
> I'll ask at the same time if I can use the virtualenv.
>
> Thank you both for your help.

>> Hi Cyrus,
>>
>> > File "make_plot.py", line 15, in <module>
>> >     number, profiles = fileio.list_mesa_data('LOGS/profiles.index')
>> >   File "/data/home/blablabla/stellarmodels/fileio.py", line 883, in
>> > list_mesa_data
>> >     logfiles =
>> > [os.path.join(os.path.dirname(filename),'profile{:.0f}.data'.format(nr))
>> > for nr in lognr]
>> > ValueError: zero length field name in format
>>
>> Yes.  Auto-numbered replacement fields are a python 2.7 feature.  As a
>> workaround, you can just manually number it.
>>
>> https://bugs.python.org/issue5237
>>
>> Did you know that if you do a Google search for "ValueError: zero length
>> field name in format", the very first hit is an answer to your question?
>>

>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5446964/valueerror-zero-length-field-name-in-format-error-in-python-3-0-3-1-3-2
>>
>> Josiah

Monique Windju
mwindju at ucsc.edu

University of California, Santa Cruz
Undergraduate Research Fellow at
Supercomputing Lab for UnderGrads (SLUG)