[mesa-users] Horizontal Branch in 1M_pre_ms_to_wd

Pavel Denisenkov pavel.denisenkov at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 14:02:28 EST 2015

Hi Felix,

only stars with HB masses less than 0.6-0.65 Msun will arrive at the blue
part of the HB.
If you begin with 0.8 Msun, you have to use Reimers mass-loss eta parameter
of 0.5 for the star to loose a sufficient amount of mass on the RGB to
arrive at the blue HB. Stars with a high Z tend to arrive at a redder HB.
Stars with masses in excess of 1 Msun usually end up on the red HB too
because there is too much mass to loose for them to become blue HB stars.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 6:54 AM, Félix Blais <felix.blais.duff at gmail.com>