[mesa-users] Sound-speed discontinuity in solar-like main sequence model

Richard Townsend townsend at astro.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 2 10:31:32 EST 2015

Hi Earl —

It looks like there’s a problem where the (Eddington) atmosphere connects to the stellar envelope.

I’ve encountered this myself, and had meant to look into it further, but then other stuff got in the way. My recollection is that this issue arises for *some* but not all choices of atmosphere model. As a temporary workaround, you could try other atmosphere choices; I think the default ‘simple_photosphere’ works OK.

It’s not yet clear to me whether there is a fundamental issue with the atmosphere-envelope boundary (which impacts the overall structure calculation), or whether it’s just a problem in the pulsation output code. My understanding is that it’s only when you write a pulsation model file (in your case, in FGONG format) that the atmosphere data get added on; I don’t believe the usual MESA profile files contain the atmosphere data.

cheers,

Rich