[mesa-users] Burning questions

Ondrea Clarkson ond20id at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 14:56:09 EDT 2015

Hello everyone,
I am working on adding reactions to a network to include at least the
primary reactions for hydrostatic oxygen burning and had a couple of
general questions regarding how MESA is treating things.

First of all, I'm not seeing any reactions which include unstable isotopes
as products. I am wondering if they are simply not there or if MESA is
handling them in some other way. I have been looking primarily in
rates_def.f and reactions.list. In chem_def.f I can see a large list of
isotopes present in the subroutine set_some_isos but that is all.

Second, I am curious as to why compound reactions are used. i.e. what are
the pros and cons of doing things this way? Is information being lost at
all?

Thank you,

Ondrea