[mesa-users] rotational asymmetry

Santiago Andres Triana repepo at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 05:00:34 EDT 2015

Hi Amber,

In the case of rapidly rotating stars the spherical symmetry is lost
(by centrifugal deformation) and therefore the spherical harmonics
that we all know and love are not appropriate to describe pulsations.
A 2D code would be necessary here to describe the equilibrium
structure as well (e.g. the ESTER code). 1D models assume "shellular"
differential rotation (dependent only on radius) while in 2D the
models are allowed to have latitude-dependent differential rotation.
Mixing properties are therefore different. In 1D we treat mixing
mechanisms as diffusion processes, but in reality some of those
processes cannot be described properly as such, e.g. when shear from
differential rotation is latitude dependent.

This topic is really complex! I would recommend the excellent
monography by A. Maeder (Physics, Formation and Evolution of Rotating
Stars) to have an overview. Hope it helps!

Cheers,

Santiago