[mesa-users] Creating a "pure" CO WD

Sumit Sarbadhicary s2ksumit at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 22:04:57 EDT 2015

Hello MESA users,

Does anyone know a good way to create a "pure" CO white dwarf profile, i.e.
without any hydrogen or helium (X_avg = Y_avg = 0, Z_avg = 1)?

Specifically, I'm trying to create a profile that looks like WD_IGNITE.MOD
(see attached) in the WD_IGNITE test_suite. If you notice, the h1, he3 and
he4 mass fractions throughout the profile are 0 (or <10^-20).

I started with the make_co_wd test suite. The final WD is a CO WD, but
still with trace amounts of H and He. I tried using various techniques
(wind, relax_Y, relax_Z, etc.) but without much effect. The only thing that
was somewhat successful was using relax_mass, which removed the hydrogen
entirely, but not helium.

I'm using MESA-r7184, MESA SDK release ver. 20141212 on Mac OS X Yosemite
ver. 10.10.1

Any suggestions would be useful. Let me know if you need more information.

Sumit