[mesa-users] discontinuity when restarting MESA

Richard Townsend townsend at astro.wisc.edu
Mon Apr 6 21:33:11 EDT 2015

OK, thanks!

When you do the restart, are you using the ordinary MESA/star rather than the one from the astero module? That could explain the jump — the ordinary MESA/star will take abundances from inlist_solar (or default to X=0.7, Z=0.02 if not specified), whereas the astero MESA/star will also read abundances from inlist_astero_search_controls.

Looking at your input files, inlist_solar doesn’t specify anything (and hence will use the defaults), whereas inlist_astero_search_controls specifies abundances. So, the two versions of MESA/star will end up using different abundances.

cheers,

Rich