[mesa-users] discontinuity when restarting MESA

Jean-Claude Passy jcpassy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 21:07:55 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I have been encountering a strange behavior when using MESA in restart mode.
I first ran the solar calibration model with a set of values and turn on search_type = ‘use_first_values’. The target is reached for model number 958, and gives the evolution represented by the blue line in the figures below (history.data file attached).

Then I restart the runs at cycles 956 or 957 with the same inlist and let it evolve for one timestep only. I obtain the figures below, which show a significant increase in the two quantities I chose to plot (effective temperature and luminosity). I did that using *.mod files but I found the same behavior with the photos.

I am a little bit perplexe since the combo (inlist + mod file) seems to contain all the information necessary to provide a correct restart, even the next timestep calculated by the first run.

Before digging up more, I wanted to ask: has anyone already experienced this behavior and/or has an idea of what might be going on?

Cheers,

JC

PS: I am using Mesa r7503, OSX 10.9.5 with MESA SDK.