[mesa-users] Stopping mass gain in the binary module

Pablo Marchant pamarca at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 11:09:22 EDT 2015

MESA uses mass_change independently from mass transfer, so that should not
work. What should do the job though, is modifying the mass_transfer_alpha
and assorted variables. Something like this in run_star_extras:

 75       integer function extras_check_model(id, id_extra)
 76          integer, intent(in) :: id, id_extra
 77          type (star_info), pointer :: s
 78          integer :: ierr
 79          type (binary_info), pointer :: b
 80
 81          extras_check_model = keep_going
 82
 83          ierr = 0
 84          call star_ptr(id, s, ierr)
 85          if (ierr /= 0) return
 86          call binary_ptr(s% binary_id, b, ierr)
 87          if (ierr /= 0) return
 90
 91          if(PUT_CONDITION_HERE) then
 92              !Set all mass transferred as lost from accretor
 93              b% mass_transfer_beta = 1d0
 94          end if
 95
 96
 97       end function extras_check_model

check binary/defaults/binary_controls.defaults for the meaning of the
mass_transfer_* options. you might want to use the function is_donor(b, s)
to distinguish which star is the donor though, otherwise the code in
extras_check_model will go through for both components

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 12:40 AM, Robert FARMER <rjfarmer at asu.edu> wrote:

> Hi
> What about adding in your run stars extra file, a check for when the mass
> > wanted mass you set:
> s%job% mass_change = 0d0
> Ie you override the inlist parameter inside your run stars file?
> http://mesa.sourceforge.net/run_star_extras.html
>
> The other option would be to get mesa to stop when you reach a target
> mass, save a photo or a mod file, then edit your inlist and restart the run.
>
> Rob
>

> On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 2:06 PM, etheridge d.j. (dje1g11) <
> dje1g11 at soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>

>>  I'm using the binary module with the binary_donor_only test suite to
>> model a neutron star accreting mass from a donor star, how can I stop the
>> neutron star from gaining more mass when it has accreted a certain amount?
>> I am aware that I can specify max_star_mass_for_gain in the stars inlist
>> but this does not seem to work in the binary module.
>>

>>  Many thanks,
>>

>>  Daniel Etheridge

>> Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website,
>> sponsored
>> by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub
>> for all
>> things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership
>> blogs to
>> news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the
>> conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/

> sponsored
> all

Pablo Marchant Campos
M.Sc on Astrophysics, Universidad Católica de Chile
PhD student, Argelander-Institut für Astronomie