[mesa-users] huw to calculate common envelope

Falk Herwig fherwig at uvic.ca
Wed Apr 1 23:13:29 EDT 2015

Heran,
MESA is a 1D code. Although MESA is a great tool we have to accept that not all interesting events,
even in stellar physics, are spherically symmetric. Clearly the CE phase is a very aspherical event.
It can therefore not be simulated with MESA in a realistic way. For a recent paper that represents
the state of the art in simulating the CE and to demonstrate some of the remaining short comings
please consider, e.g. Passy+ ’12 (2012ApJ...744…52P) or Ricker & Taam, 2012, ApJ 746, 74.
All the best, Falk.