[mesa-users] Timestep control

Dean Townsley Dean.M.Townsley at ua.edu
Wed Aug 27 12:30:28 EDT 2014

Hi Warrick,

On 08/27/2014 01:37 AM, Warrick Ball wrote:
> Are there already hooks for the maximum timestep?  Or is it enough
> simply to add something like
>
>   s% dt = min(dt, my_dt_limit)
>
> to extras_check_model in run_star_extras?

I think you should probably do it in extras_finish_step() instead, and
it is s% dt_next.  This is what we have done to control the timestep for
accreting WD setups.

I think s%dt is the either the timestep currently being attempted (when
extras_check_model() is called) or the timestep just finished (when
extras_finish_step() is called).

There is also a string somewhere that indicates what is constraining the
timestep and is printed in the summary info to the terminal, but I don't
know what that is called.  That should probably be changed too, to
something like "mylimit" or something more meaningful.

Dean