[mesa-users] Question about abundances in the 1 Msun test problem

Bill Paxton paxton at kitp.ucsb.edu
Wed Aug 6 19:39:36 EDT 2014

On Aug 6, 2014, at 3:08 PM, Francis Timmes wrote:

> alternative options, which may not be the best options for this
> particular case, are a) renormalizing the abundances of whatever
> network is being used to sum to unity and b) putting any nonconservation
> into an existing istope, say h1. both approaches avoid adding a dumping ground.
>
> fxt

Good suggestions.   Here's yet another way to avoid having a dump isotope without changing X and Y values --- assign all of the metals solar abundances and then renormalize them to give Z = 1 - (X + Y).    For the case we've been looking at, this gives the following starting abundances for standard o18_and_ne22.net without an added "dump" isotope:

  h1    6.9999999999999996D-01
 he3    2.9797635251138618D-05
 he4    2.7997020236474884D-01
 c12    4.1193941728506524D-03
 n14    1.2067031726661244D-03
 o16    1.1178649647783617D-02
 o18    2.5223648002409993D-05
ne20    2.3248824409470140D-03
ne22    1.8804073977191757D-04
mg24    9.5710617797828315D-04

This preserves the solar relative abundances such as Ne20/Mg24 while increasing all the metal abundances to make up for the missing isotopes.  The absolute values have jumped a bit: e.g., Ne20 from 1.9423584493049016D-03 to 2.3248824409470140D-03.

Those values can be compared to what we currently get for o18_and_ne22.net using the dump into most massive scheme:

  h1    6.9999999999999996D-01
 he3    2.9797635251138618D-05
 he4    2.7997020236474884D-01
 c12    3.4416106108120406D-03
 n14    1.0081585468366041D-03
 o16    9.3393731281944965D-03
 o18    2.1073480945478206D-05
ne20    1.9423584493049016D-03
ne22    1.5710150039274719D-04
mg24    4.0903242835137500D-03

I'll add flag to let users pick between "dump missing metals in the most massive" vs. this one, "renormalize metals to make up for missing ones".

I wonder what will break if I change the default behavior from dumping to renormalizing?    ;D

-Bill