[mesa-users] Mass transfer lag in binary

Pablo Marchant pamarca at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 10:23:23 EST 2013

Hi François. I can confirm this, though it is only a problem in output. Both
binary donor test suites evolve conservatively.

This is not so much lg_mstar_dot_1 lagging by a timestep, but rather
lg_mstar_dot_2 stepping ahead a single timestep. Since it is only an output
problem, it does not affect the results, the system is evolving as it
should. This happens only when using the explicit scheme, you see it in
binary_donor_only_implicit because the implicit scheme is only used when
the explicit value of mdot is above a threshold, otherwise it is too
expensive (and you can see the two values get in sync when the implicit
scheme stars working).

This is a simple bug, and I'll get it fixed for next release, Cheers!

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM, François Dufour
<dufourf at physics.mcgill.ca>wrote:

> While running the binary_donor_only test suite under version 5596,
> unmodified except for stopping_age = 1d10, it appears that there is a lag
> in the mass loss. Examination of the binary_history.data
> columns lg_mstar_dot_1 and lg_mstar_dot_2 shows that lg_mstar_dot_1 lags by
> one step, consistently.
>
> I have seen the same problem in binary_donor_only_implicit_mdot and for
> various binary parameters as well. I'm guessing that this might be a bug?
>
> --
> Francois Dufour
> McGill University
> Ph.D Student, Physics

Pablo Marchant Campos
M.Sc on Astrophysics, Universidad Católica de Chile
PhD student, Argelander-Institut für Astronomie