[mesa-users] ODP: Re: RAM issues in sdb_test

astrophysics astrophysics at go2.pl
Fri Jun 28 02:44:53 EDT 2013

Hi Sutirtha,

For MESA runs I use Ubuntu 13.04, 64-bit on computers with 2 - 6 GB of RAM.
My runs use up to 1.5 GB. The only issues with memory that I've had were with less than 2 GB of available space. The solution for me to run it even then was to enable the swap space. Then Ubuntu is able to redirect some memory to this area.
Did you try it? If not, try this "sudo swapon /dev/sda5". My swap is on sda5. If you have it in a different location just correct this command.
This might be unrelated to your particular situation but why not to try.

Marcin @ astrophysics

sutirtha sengupta <sutirtha.sg86 at gmail.com> pisze:Well I am only trying this test for the first time (load the opacity data), but my previous runs (e.g. with low_Z or pre_ms_to_wd test suites) had no issues with excessive RAM usage.