[mesa-users] ODP: Re: the energy of the emitted photons

Ehsan Moravveji e.moravveji at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 02:19:26 EDT 2013

Hello Marcin,
To get a better realization of the photon flux at X-rays, you need to have
a synthetic SED code, which MESA is not currently supporting. This,
requires an integration of radiative transfer codes (as William pointed
out), where TLUSTY could be a choice. However, the run-time for such
radiative transfer codes exceeds that of MESA by at least an order of
magnitude. So, some tricks have to be employed, e.g. just to call it at
some, not all steps.
Let us know if you manage to implement it.

Regards.
Ehsan.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 8:05 AM, astrophysics <astrophysics at go2.pl> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
> Yes, exactly. I make use of this module with help of Ehsan's functions to
> get the light energy for several wavelenghts / bands (UBVRI...). It's
> simply calculated from the color indices, bolometric magnitude and
> bolometric correction for V. Values seem to be ok.
> However I am not sure how to get from the colors module values for
> different bands llike x-rays. So far the idea I have is to use the
> effective temperature of a star and the Planck formula for the blackbody
> approximation. But I guess this might not take into account 'real' energy
> emmited with some fotons during the evolution.
>
> Marcin @ astrophysics
>

> Bill Paxton <paxton at kitp.ucsb.edu> pisze:
>
> Another possible option would be the mesa/colors module to get estimates.
>
> -Bill
>

> On Jun 24, 2013, at 9:21 AM, William Wolf wrote:
>
> > Hi Marcin
> >
> > MESA doesn't do radiative transfer, so I think the best you could do
> would be to just integrate the Planck function over the wavelengths you
> want and multiply by the surface area. This would be relatively simple to
> implement in your run_star_extras.f if you wanted to output it at each step
> in history.log, too.
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > On Jun 24, 2013, at 9:15 AM, Marcin @ astrophysics <astrophysics at o2.pl>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Does someone know how to make mesa calculate the energy of the emitted
> >> photons for a given electromagnetic band like for example 1 nm - 10 nm?
> >>
> >> Best regards
> >>
> >> Marcin

Kind regards

Ehsan Moravveji