[mesa-users] oscillation data

Ehsan Moravveji e.moravveji at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 17:58:40 EDT 2013

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Ehsan Moravveji <e.moravveji at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mesa-users] oscillation data
> Date: June 23, 2013 11:54:26 PM GMT+02:00
> To: Richard Townsend <townsend at astro.wisc.edu>
>

> Best regards,
>
> Ehsan Moravveji
>

> On Jun 23, 2013, at 11:40 PM, Richard Townsend wrote:

>>> I don't think there is anything that needs to be changed in the code --- unless Rich tells me differently.
>>> The FGONG/OSC VAR(9) assignments in the code match the documentation.
>>> Of course, I'm naively assuming that matching the documentation is a good thing in this case.
>>>
>>> Now we'll wait to see if Rich wants to change epsilon for GYRE to be like epsilon in FGONG/OSC files.
>>> The GYRE documentation says epsilon = "energy generation rate (ers/s/gm)", so I may need to add on the eps_grav term.
>>>

>> I'm not sure myself what the best approach is here. It's worth remarking that the eps_grav term is only appreciably non-zero when a star *isn't* in thermal equilibrium; yet the non-adiabatic pulsation equations are typically derived under the assumption of thermal equilibrium. So some caution is definitely in order in including/neglecting the eps_grav term

Good to have your words Rich,
I attach a plot from my paper (ApJ, 2012, 749, 74; Figure 1), where several runs of energy-related terms are presented in the top right panel.
It is clear that the eps_grav contribution can wash out the signal from the burning profiles. This is very pronounced in the post-main sequence phase.
So, it is advisable NOT to use VAR(9) the way they are provided in FGONG and OSC formats, but rather to disentangle them. This is carefully implemented in .gyre files.
This implies that users may need to write their own pulsation output files.

Ehsan