[mesa-users] oscillation data

Richard Townsend townsend at astro.wisc.edu
Sun Jun 23 17:40:08 EDT 2013

On Jun 23, 2013, at 10:17 PM, Bill Paxton wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2013, at 2:12 PM, Ehsan Moravveji wrote:
>
>> SIGH,
>> I am all safe now.
>>
>> Thanks Bill for the clarification regarding the extra source heats.
>> Are you also going to update /star/private/pulsation_info.f in this regard?
>
> I don't think there is anything that needs to be changed in the code --- unless Rich tells me differently.
> The FGONG/OSC VAR(9) assignments in the code match the documentation.
> Of course, I'm naively assuming that matching the documentation is a good thing in this case.
>
> Now we'll wait to see if Rich wants to change epsilon for GYRE to be like epsilon in FGONG/OSC files.
> The GYRE documentation says epsilon = "energy generation rate (ers/s/gm)", so I may need to add on the eps_grav term.

I'm not sure myself what the best approach is here. It's worth remarking that the eps_grav term is only appreciably non-zero when a star *isn't* in thermal equilibrium; yet the non-adiabatic pulsation equations are typically derived under the assumption of thermal equilibrium. So some caution is definitely in order in including/neglecting the eps_grav term.

cheers,

Rich