[mesa-users] rotation in MESA

Matteo Cantiello cantiel at kitp.ucsb.edu
Tue Dec 17 22:14:25 EST 2013

Hi Yuqian,

On Dec 17, 2013, at 7:03 PM, Yuqian Liu <yl1260 at nyu.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> From my understanding, rotation in MESA is initialized by imposing a solid body rotation law on the zero-age main sequence. If I use command:
> new_omega_div_omega_crit=0.5
> does that mean rotation is initialized by half critical rotation with solid body assumption?

Correct

> Is the star treated as a solid body during the evolution?

No,  differential rotation is allowed (in the shellular approximation).
I suggest you give a quick read to section 6 of Paxton et al. 2013  (second MESA instrument paper) where details are explained.
Hope this helps,

Matteo

Matteo Cantiello  |  http://matteocantiello.com/
Postdoctoral Fellow,  Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics
Scientific Advisor, Authorea  |  http://authorea.com/