[mesa-users] The run cannot automatically terminate

Bill Wolf wmwolf at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue Dec 10 12:55:54 EST 2013

HI Yuqian,

I think I see what’s going on.

First, in your inlist_project, pgstar_flag is indeed set to .true., but your pgstar namelist is still blank (other than comments), so no plots will be displayed. You can put a plotting command (again, like Grid1_win_flag = .true.) in the file “inlist” under the &pgstar, or, more sensibly, in inlist_project, also under the &pgstar.

As for why it isn’t terminating, it just hasn’t reached it’s ending condition, which is that the central helium abundance is below 1d-12. On my machine, this did take only 2078 timesteps to complete, so I’m a little uncomfortable with how long yours is taken (ideally these would be bit-by-bit the same, since I am also using version 5596). However, from the output in your first message, it looks like it’s just about to run out of central helium (column 8, row 2). Just be patient and it should finish before 3000 timesteps have passed.

To the website maintainer(s), you may want to update that portion of the site (how to use mesa star -> create a work directory for your current project). There no longer is any need to set the mesa_data_dir, as is still indicated there, and the default work directory is not a super short run. I seem to recall it evolved a 3 Msun star through to helium exhaustion, but it now evolves a 30 Msun model, which might take longer on slower machines. Finally, there is, by default, no pgstar output, though the tutorial claims there will be, which is the cause some of the confusion here.

Regards,

Bill

William Wolf
wmwolf at physics.ucsb.edu(mailto:wmwolf at physics.ucsb.edu)