[mesa-users] crazy C shell burning -- not crazy, just off-center neon burning

Tuguldur Sukhbold sukhbold at ucolick.org
Fri Apr 19 02:27:10 EDT 2013

Dear Bill,

many thanks for these!

> With my current version, it hits your T center stopping criterion before going into Ne burning
> whereas the older version does not.   When I let the current version keep going,
> it shows the same "crazy" behavior as the older version.

So in the new version it is going 'crazy' after my stopping condition, while in the older version it is going 'crazy' before?

At that central T condition for this model - 1.2GK - I don't think we should expect Ne flashes to take place. The balanced power condition gives Ne burning temperature at around 1.5GK.

I don't know if you have seen my older email with convection plots (attached again), where what you described was seen. In the alpha=1 case you see at around model#3600, O is ignited off-center.

I agree that the difference is the off-center burning, essentially. But there might be other subtle things (i am not 100$ sure). With KEPLER I have definitely seen similar stuff with smaller progenitors (as they have more degenerate cores), see the attached section of a plot for 12Msun alpha=1 model. There O also burns off-center, but the burning front migrates inward before the convection ceases. If you have inefficient semi convection, then the He-core will be bifurcated resulting in smaller CO core and thus it will also promote off-center O burning.

Anyways, I think you set me up on the right track. I am running alpha=2 model a bit further now.

thanks,
Tuguldur

(below) 12Msun alpha_mlt=1 model: