[mesa-users] Evolving a white dwarf on the cooling sequence

Jing Luan jingluan at caltech.edu
Mon Jan 9 18:58:14 EST 2012

On 1/9/12 1:39 PM, Francesca Valsecchi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to use MESA to create white dwarf models of different
> masses and temperatures.
>
> I created a He white dwarf using one of the test_suite runs and I am
> trying to evolve it on the cooling sequence.
>
> I have tried using the test_suite called wd_cool, reading in input the
> He white dwarf model created, but I did not have success.
>
> Is there any documentations on the various test_suite that deal with
> white dwarfs? Also any paper that used MESA to study white dwarfs
> would be useful.
>

> Thank you very much!
>

> Francesca

Hello,

I remember I once used mesa to deal with wd cooling and it worked well.
Actually you do not necessarily need to go to test_suite. Here is my
suggestion: copy a work directory, edit the inlist_project file to let
mesa start with the model you already created, and let mesa run. When
the T and P are too low for further nuclear fusion, the He WD is now on
its cooling trace. There should be a variable indicating the luminosity
resulted from nuclear burning ( maybe called Lnuc or something, you can
check the file mesa/star/public/star_data.dek for the variable name), as
long as Lnuc<< the total luminosity, the He WD is cooling down. MESA
will continue running until the equation of state of the central matter
is uncertain ( I remember it is when lgQ>some critical value, you can
also check what lgQ is in MESA's document, probably also in the
star_data.dek file).

Good luck!

--
Sincerely
Jing

Ph.D candidate at physics.caltech
email: jingluan at caltech.edu
address: MC350-17,Caltech,1200 E.California Blvd
          Pasadena, CA 91125