[mesa-users] MESA for Education

Richard Townsend townsend at astro.wisc.edu
Sun Jan 8 12:51:08 EST 2012

Hi Kevin --

I haven't used MESA as a 'student tool' --- i.e., something that I get students to run themselves --- but I've certainly used it to generate movie sequences of the evolving stellar structure, which I then show in class and discuss with my students.

I'm sure you're already familiar with EZ-Web (I know Lars is), which is a simple web interface to Bill's earlier EZ code:

http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~townsend/static.php?ref=ez-web

I've found this very useful at both undergrad and grad levels, for assigning homeworks that involve hands-on investigation of various aspects of stellar structure and evolution. I was hoping eventually to develop a similar interface to MESA, but the problem right now is that the code runs too slowly (much slower than EZ, because the physics is much more sophisticated).

cheers,

Rich